Custom Directories: Accessible for Every User
User-friendly. User-focused. User-centric.
Whichever term is used, enhancing a user’s experience is a top priority for clients when developing a new website. But often when describing user experience, it’s with the end-user, or site visitor, in mind. And while that is the ultimate goal, having a site that also provides a user-friendly experience to site administrators is extremely advantageous.
Recently we were approached by the British Columbia Assembly of First Nations (BCAFN) to incorporate directories into their existing site that would make information on First Nation economic development resources and communities easily accessible to all users.
Our solution was to develop two custom directories, a Resource Centre and Community Profiles, that integrate data from the B.C. Data Catalogue and use interactive tools to deliver comprehensive information in an accessible way. By keeping both users in mind in our approach, we were able to deliver an engaging experience to site visitors, while simultaneously giving site administrators a valuable tool they can maintain and update themselves.
Key user benefits of these custom directories include:
Benefits for Site Visitors:
- Accessible: Providing users with relevant information in an efficient, easy-to-use format that doesn’t require the user to have much prerequisite knowledge.
- Interactive: Integrating with Google Maps, an interactive map, highlighting all 203 First Nations communities in B.C, allows users to find communities based their location, and once selected, provides a detailed description on the community/region.
- Filters: Users can filter the resource database based on custom taxonomies—type, location, funding amount, target audience—to help them narrow down the list of resources based on their specific needs. Making it quick and easy for users to find the information they need.
Benefits for Site Administrators:
- Easily Editable: Created within BCAFN’s existing CMS site, site administrators can easily edit the content and taxonomies within the new custom directories, giving them complete control of their site’s content.
- Automatic Filter Updates: When adding or editing taxonomies, the filter options will automatically update, allowing site administrators to make changes without the worry of breaking the functionality of the site.
- Efficient: Since BCAFN has control of the content on their site, they don’t have to rely on third-party support every time they want to update content, saving time (and money!) and allowing site administrators to keep information relevant and up-to-date.
At Upanup, we deliver custom solutions that provide maximum usability for everyone involved. Whether it be through interactive directories, intuitive navigation or comprehensive designs, we always have the user’s best interest in mind.
To see how we can help you deliver an enhanced user experience to both your staff and clientele, contact us today.